Friday, April 29, 2011

It's always too loud, everything's too loud.

" I'll never ask permission from you. Fuck off, I'm not listening to you." 
   Why is it that every teenager  is expected to rebel against what they were brought up by? Why does every parent think the teenage years are worse then the terrible twos? Most importantly, why did we get caught in the stereotype?

     I can tell you from the perspective of a teenager that you need to give us a break. We're learning who we are,  we're trying to conform to todays ever-changing society, and we're trying to please ourselves. You can call it selfishness if you want, but also try to remember things are different.

     We're trying to make something  of ourselves, and those of us who aren't, well, then the parents clearly screwed up somewhere, or maybe not. I don't know. I don't pretend to be the ruler of the universe, I don't even pretend that there is one. Maybe their parents pushed 'em so hard that they ended up automatically reverse processing everything their parents would say or tell them to do. Maybe they're just fucked up in the head, whatever the explanation is, that person's still a kid, and needs to have support.

    Some parents claim  that every child is just doing the opposite of what they say for kicks, when I can tell you -again from the perspective of a teenager- that most of us are trying to please you, we just don't know how to go about in doing so. When we can't do it, we give up and just stop caring. Also, parents if your reading, keep in mind  (1.) we have the  attention span of a flea and (2.)  This is all my opinion, so don't get angry at me if you think I'm wrong , which I probably am.

     Another thing you  should know is most of the time, our self esteem is in the trenches. So, it really sucks when you tell us we aren't trying hard enough or that we're disobedient, or that we're belligerent or whatever it is you think.  It just makes us not want to care even more.  We're not as  nonchalant about that sort of shit you say as you think we are. Despite common belief, we really do take was you say into careful consideration.

    So, please, adults of the world, hear us out. You're only making our lives worse, so stop gossiping about us to your middle-aged friends. Stop complaining about us, and condescendingly, stop ignoring our cries of desperation and attention, maybe, it would actually help. 

"If we're fucked up then you're to blame."


-MissVonHusen
    

    

1 comment:

  1. Just remember you're going to be one of those adults some day. Might as well get started on it.

    Also, if we gave you too many breaks, we wouldn't be supportive of you, we would be negligent.

    In spite of the fact that you think we don't understand you, we have been there and we have struggles of our own in our lives. Sometimes much more complex and with more far-reaching consequences than we care to admit. But that doesn't mean we don't try to be there. We lack perfection and sometimes perspective.

    "My existence led by confusion boats
    Mutiny from stern to bow"
    - Dylan

    In essence, we try. Sometimes we miss the mark, but then you're a moving target. But remember, with all our flaws, we love you and want only good things for you.

    ReplyDelete